The U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada continues to closely monitor the national and state and local responses to the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) and will be following guidance provided by the Administrative Office of the United States Courts (AO), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and state and local health officials. We will continue to post updates to general court operations to this website.
Limited Physical Access to the Clerk’s Office and Modifications Re Court Operations
(1) Public access to the Clerk’s Office will continue to be limited to ensure effective social distancing for the protection of employees as well as the public. The Intake window in the Clerk’s Office will continue to be closed to the public.
(2) Filings will be processed via CM/ECF, mail, email or delivery (in designated drop boxes outside the Clerk’s Office). Documents that cannot be filed electronically via CM/ECF may now be submitted by email. In addition, pro se parties may consent to receive electronic notices by email. Additional information can be found on the Court’s website under Self Help.
(3) Requirements for submitting paper copies for chambers pursuant to LR IC 2-2(g) is suspended while access to the Clerk’s Office is limited pursuant to this Order. However, each presiding judge may direct a party to submit courtesy copies directly to their chambers.
(4) Payments by check or money order will be accepted by mail or in the courthouse drop boxes during the hours noted above. Cash payments will not be accepted during this period of exigent circumstances.
(5) The Court plans to incrementally resume in-person court appearances as appropriate based on recommended health guidelines. Members of the public may call in to listen to a scheduled hearing.
See Amended GO 2020-04 for additional information.
Authorization for Video and Telephone Conferencing Under CARES Act
The Court authorizes the use of video conferencing, or telephone conferencing if video conferencing is not reasonably available, for certain criminal proceedings as provided in the “Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act” (CARES Act). The public may call in to listen to hearings when hearings are conducted by video conferencing or teleconferencing. See General Order 2020-05 for additional information.
Jury trials must be further postponed in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. However, each presiding judge will address any needed continuance of jury trial in their individual cases. See Amended General Order 2020-03 for additional information.
Non-Case Related Events and Criminal Matters
All non-case related events scheduled to be held in the District’s courthouses, including the Inn of Court and Project Real, are postponed pending further order of the Court; As to criminal matters, the time period of continuances be excluded under the Speedy Trial Act. See General Order 2020-03 for additional information.
TEMPORARY RESTRICTIONS REGARDING ENTRANCE TO THE COURTHOUSE:
Have you been diagnosed with COVID-19? Do you reside with someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 within the last 14 days? Have you been asked to self-quarantine by any doctor, hospital or health agency because of COVID-19? Do you have symptoms of COVID-19, such as fever, severe cough, or shortness of breath? If you answered YES to ANY of the above questions, please DO NOT enter the courthouse. Please see General Order 2020-02 for additional information.
Given the size of the in-court naturalization ceremonies, the court is concerned about effective implementation of social distancing measure to ensure protection of all involved. For this reason, the court has postponed all naturalization ceremonies. The court will continue to evaluate the fluid situations and explore options to hold naturalization ceremonies to allow for prompt make-up ceremonies to occur.
Notice Regarding Public Access Terminals Located in the Clerk’s Office
The public terminals located inside the intake areas at the Las Vegas and Reno courthouses are currently not available for records searches. Court records are available via PACER which provide electronic public access to court records. Additional information is available at https://www.pacer.gov. If you have additional questions about accessing court records please call 702-464-5400 for the Clerk’s Office in Las Vegas and 775-686-5800 for the Clerk’s Office in Reno.
Orders and Guidance
- Notice Regarding Public Access Terminals Located in the Clerk’s OfficeThe public terminals located inside the intake areas at the Las Vegas and Reno courthouses are currently not available for records searches. Court records are available via PACER which provide …
- GENERAL ORDER 2020-08IN RE: ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENT OF FACE COVERINGS FOR ACCESS TO THE COURTHOUSES DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES CREATED BY COVID19 AND RELATED CORONAVIRUS
- NOTICE REGARDING TEMPORARY SUSPENSION OF LOCAL RULE IC 2-1(c)In further response to the challenges presented by COVID-19 the Court has agreed to accept documents submitted for filing by email. All documents submitted for filing MUST be in PDF …
- GENERAL ORDER 2020-06IN RE: COMPASSIONATE RELEASE REQUESTS UNDER THE FIRST STEP ACT
- TEMPORARY GENERAL ORDER 2020-05IN RE: AUTHORIZATION FOR VIDEO AND TELEPHONE CONFERENCING UNDER THE CARES ACT AND THE EXIGENT CIRCUMSTANCES CREATED BY COVID19 AND RELATED CORONAVIRUS
- AMENDED TEMPORARY GENERAL ORDER 2020-04IN RE: CLERK’S OFFICE CLOSURE AND FURTHER RESTRICTIONS ON COURT OPERATIONS UNDER THE EXIGENT CIRCUMSTANCES CREATED BY COVID19 AND RELATED CORONAVIRUS IN RE: LIMITED PHYSICAL ACCESS TO THE CLERK’S OFFICE …
- TEMPORARY GENERAL ORDER 2020-03IN RE: COURT OPERATIONS UNDER THE EXIGENT CIRCUMSTANCES CREATED BY COVID-19 AND RELATED CORONAVIRUS
- GENERAL ORDER 2020-02IN RE: RESTRICTIONS ON VISITORS TO THE COURTHOUSE IN RESPONSE TO COVID-19 AND RELATED CORONAVIRUS